Thursday, October 21, 2010

Vegan Made Easy!

Out of all the questions I could get about my veganism, the most common is not “WHY are you vegan?” it’s “HOW do you eat that way???”  For most people, the idea of giving up their favorite foods, having to start with all new recipes, trying to eat out at restaurants, etc, seems overwhelming.  I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a big fan of easy.  I generally don’t like things that take a long time to culminate – a complicated recipe rarely gets a glance from me, and growing my own vegetables?  Forget about it! 

Since I know there are many others who feel the same way, I am going to tell you about some of my favorite items that help me keep life simple.  If you have any to add, put them in the comments section!

Is Your Wine Vegan?
iPhone App 
If you haven’t heard yet, many wines are not vegan because they use animal bone and other products in the manufacturing process.  While it’s not a complete list, “Is Your Wine Vegan?” allows you to quickly pull out your phone and decide on a wine with little intrusion to your dinner.

Vegan Passport
iPhone App and printed booklet 
If you like to travel to foreign countries, Vegan Passport will translate different phrases to explain your eating habits in 33 languages!  No more settling for salad for days on end.

VegWeb
Website and iPhone App
This website and iPhone application has over 13,000 recipes, all rated and commented on by a vast number of participants, that quickly allow you to find 5-star recipes certain to satisfy the most carnivorous friends and family members!

Veggie Chopper
Kitchen Gadget
I don’t know the real name for this item, but they are for sale all over the internet, including Dr. Fuhrman’s website.  You just place pieces of onion, peppers, or whatever needs chopping on top of a grate, and close the lid over the grate.  The item gets cut in the grate and lands in a graduated container, letting you know how much you have chopped so far!

Vitamix
Blender
I know they are expensive (several hundred dollars) but a Vitamix is like a blender on steroids.  It will blend anything effortlessly, including ice.  To clean, just rinse, put about two cups of hot water with a splash of dish washing soap back in the blender, and turn it on!  Thanks for that tip, Mom.  J

What about you?  Do you have any tips you can share?  If so, put it in a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment